Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hong Kong

Tonight is our last night in Hong Kong.  Tomorrow I get to go to my city on the main land.  I am so excited to see where I will be living for the next four months and I am so pumped to not be living out of a suitcase.  However, I have absolutely loved Hong Kong.  It is a huge city!! It feels a lot like New York to me but multiplied by like five and chinese style.  We were able to go on a tour with our group and we got to see the city from Victoria's Peak, Stanley Market, the fish market in Aberdeen, and we went to a jewelry factory.  We had a funny tour guide, whose name was George.  His English was actually pretty good but some of his jokes did not really make sense which made him even more funny.  After the tour, a group of us decided to go to the Hong Kong Temple.  It was beautiful.  It was amazing to be able to go from the busy streets of Hong Kong to a very sacred place.  Right when we walked on the temple grounds, I was overwhelmed with the feeling of peace and comfort.  I love knowing that the spirit you feel is the same anywhere you go.  I am in China, and yet I still feel the sweet spirit of the gospel.  We have done so much in Hong Kong for only being here for two days.  I gave a quick synopsis but hope that you can imagine what I have been doing.

And in case you were wondering:

  • There are seven million people living in Hong Kong and only 300,000 own a car.
  • Eight is considered a lucky number.  People who have the number eight in their license plate have paid a lot of money to have it on there.  The wealthy Chinese men usually have all eights on their license plate.
  •  We bought these pancake things that a woman was cooking on the street, thinking the middle was chocolate so to realize it was beans.
  • I roamed the streets of Hong Kong with only four girls.  Talk about culture shock.
  • We took the metro.
  • I had pasta covered in squid ink sauce and actually liked it.
  • 100 HK dollars=15 USA dollars
  • We are going to find Elder Ward at the Aberdeen ward tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. gotta love being lost in translation.
    ps: BEWARE THE BEANS! they're in everything that looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete