Monday, February 21, 2011

Our First Cooking Experience...

WAS A DISASTER!
We were so excited to make chocolate chip muffins.  Unfortunately, we didn't have a muffin tin to bake them in.  So instead we made the batter and spread it out on a cooking pan.  They were going to be like chocolate chip muffin brownies.  The directions said to cook them at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and our little oven only went to 250 degrees!  We were so confused, and didn't understand why the oven wouldn't go that high.  So we decided to turn the oven to its highest temperature, 250 degrees.  They had been cooking for only about four minutes and my cousin decided to go out and check on them.  She opened the kitchen door and smoke started spilling out of the room!  The chocolate chip muffin brownies that we wanted so badly had been burnt to a CRISP!  Yeah... the oven was in Celsius.  You would think that since everything else they do is in Celsius and not Fahrenheit that we would have maybe realized... but we didn't. 

On a brighter note, we found a Chinese restaurant right by our apartment where you can buy dumplings.  That's right, 10 dumplings for less than 60 cents.  And the best part is that they taste absolutely delicious!  I think there is a family who owns the restaurant and I think they live there as well.  We are going to become great friends.  I will practice my Chinese with them while I eat dumplings.

I wish that I could put my pictures throughout my post, but I can't because blogger is blocked in China.  I am blogging through my email, so thanks for being patient with me!  The pictures are of our burnt muffins, Katie and I being sadly disappointed, and last but not least my dumplings! yummy!


2 comments:

  1. haha oh my i love this! im sad you didnt get your muffins. but dumplings are a happy alternative. you guys are champs and you look like you are freezing your bums off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linds it sounds like you are doing great. This is such a funny post. Love you!

    ReplyDelete