Monday, April 11, 2011

Giant

Our transportation here in China is mainly the bus.  We take the Kaiyin bus everywhere we go.  We have waited multiple times at the bus stop, the bus is usually late.  As we wait, we usually meet people.  They usually come up to us and ask us where we are from, what we are doing here, etc.  Whelp.. the other day, a young Asian girl came up to us and started talking to us.  She spoke English extremely well and was able to understand what we said.  We carried out a conversation with one another  She is 18 years old and is in her last year of High School.   Next year she will be starting University.  She enjoyed talking to us about America and where we were from.  There was a large group of us and we were all standing in a circle talking to this young girl.  I must have been really into the conversation because after about ten minutes of talking, the young girl looked at me and gave me a weird look. 

Then the conversation went like this...
Young Girl: "I feel that you are staring at me."
Me: "Oh sorry, I didn't mean to.. I was just talking.." (As I awkwardly scoot out of the circle, not knowing really what to say or do)
Young Girl: "You just really tall.  I small."

And at that moment, I realized that I am seen as a giant here.  This conversation made me put things in perspective and I had to remind myself that I am almost a head taller than every other person who lives here.

No comments:

Post a Comment